Bambling On and On and On...

15 January, 2010

Class Clown

As Claire approaches the big -2- we, ok ... me ... has started making inquiries into and visiting different day cares in the area. The process is overwhelming and I'm grateful to have other mommies give me feedback about the day cares they send their children too. It helps to narrow down the options. Oh yeah, that and the fact that 1/2 of the day cares around require the children to be 3 years old.

This morning, we visited the first one from our list. As part of the visit, our guide brought us into every classroom, from infants up to the 4-year old program. When we stopped into the 2-year old classroom Claire was allowed to go and interact with the students. At first she ran to a board with huge beads on it, but then her eye spied something that was even more intriguing. A box. A box full of stuff.

Never underestimate the speed of a 19 month old. I remember seeing her at the board of beads when I was asking our guide some questions. Then I remember hearing a *CRASH*. The kids that were at the table in front of us just turned to stare at the mess and child next to us. The students were looking at Claire with a "Woah! Who are you?" look, and Claire stared back with the biggest grin of satisfaction. I can tell her face was saying "Hi! I'm funny. I know." and the first words that popped into my head were 'class clown'.

*deep breath*

After that little ice breaker, Claire had a blast going into the other classrooms and exploring what what happening. And that's when it hit me: I honestly don't think Claire will have a hard time with the transition to day care. Maybe the first day, or two, will be a little daunting, but if her inner actress shines through she'll probably be sadder to have to go home after class has ended.

3 Comments:

  • My sister has my niece in the Goddard School. I'm not sure if there are any near you, but my sister--who has a master's degree in childhood development and works with children--is very pleased with them. Olivia has been there since she was 6 weeks old and they go through school age, with different age groups as the kids progress. If Claire is the class clown, Olivia is the troublemaker--soon after she could stand up in her crib, she was caught standing on her tiptoes reaching for the fire alarm. Anyway, check out Goddard.

    By Blogger Justin Codd, at 1/16/2010 10:31 AM  

  • Funny that you should mention The Goddard School because it is one of the 3 on our list. Next week I'll be visiting the school. We'll see how it goes. My main criteria is that the school has actual classrooms for each program (infant, toddlers, etc) and that their philosophy is "learn through play" and I've learned not all day cares actually follow that model.

    By Blogger Christine, at 1/16/2010 11:10 AM  

  • from what my sister has told me about the Goddard School near her, they separate by age/ability groups. they've been having my niece do art since she was 6 months old and they also have music time with kiddie instruments.

    By Blogger Justin Codd, at 1/17/2010 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home