Bambling On and On and On...

03 July, 2007

Pick on Someone Your Own Size

Yesterday, returning from our walk, I spotted one of the neighbourhood cats. This one is HUGE!! and I continually mistake it for a mid-sized dog. Before Ollie notices, I command him to "Wait" then proceed to kneel down next to him and hook on his leash. He immediately cowers his head and gives off the sadest cry I have ever heard him give. He sounded and looked like I was about to punch him in the head. It broke my heart.

So now I'm wondering -- who did this to my dog? There are only 2 times in all of his 3 years of life have we ever hit him, and on the rump. One was to end the aggressive humping and the other was to end the non-play biting. Any other "hit" was totally accidental -- a result of him standing way too close to our feet as we were exercising, running or just moving in general.

Ollie's been in the care of a few people and they're all "animal people". So tell me, why would you hit him? If he's being aggressive, which isn't his nature, you're supposed to grab him by the nape of the neck. Dog obedience 101?!? I've done this before at the dog park and it totally puts him in his place. Ollie is not the kind of dog that warrants getting a beating in the head over anything.

I'm hoping beyond all hope that his behaviour yesterday was left over from an incident that happened as a puppy. Like his issue with bees. During the spring, he refuses to go out on the back deck because of the bees. I think he was too curious one day and a bee stung him in the head. So seriously, if his cowering comes from recent experiences, then you may experience a few *thwumps* to the head.

Keep your hands off my dog and go pick on someone your own size. Bully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home