Bambling On and On and On...

29 July, 2007

A Girl and her Vespa

Expanding upon my previous post, many moons ago I read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." Since then I've re-read it several times, usually when another phase of my life has begun. Throughout each reading, I always take away something new, yet one constant has always remained: the desire to ride a motorcycle.

During our recent trip abroad, we discovered we wouldn't be able to rent any type of scooter without a motorcycle license. Bah!! So, once we got back to the States, we signed up for the Basic Rider Course at HCC. Well worth the $330.

Our course began last Wednesday and ended today. Two classroom sessions followed by two LONG days of intense motorcycle riding. My instructors for the practical part were great! I couldn't have asked for better teachers. Considering that I was one of the few students who have never ridden before, I'm impressed with what I came away with in 9 hours. Granted, my skills are not ready to be tested in the real world. I'll happily stay within the confines of a parking lot. It's just knowing that I have the knowledge and rudimentary skills to take my riding further.

So there you have it. Both Casey and I are now licensed motorcyclists. We'll be heading down to the DMV (aka 'MVA' down in these parts) to update our license to include "Class M". We're also looking into buying used bikes. Why invest the money when we still have many hours of practice ahead of us. One type of bike that's caught our eye is the Honda Rebel. Of course, I really would love to have a Vespa. The downside is that I live in a suburb and it wouldn't be very practical for getting to and from work. So sad. *sheds tear*.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home