Bambling On and On and On...

14 July, 2007

Let's Play Chicken!!

Yesterday, Ollie and I were lounging about in the living room when suddenly we hear a *THWUMP*. We both turn to look at each other. I gave Ollie the "Well, you're our family dog, go check it out," while his stare said "I'd go check it out but I'm exhausted. Be a peach and go look into it for me? Thanks."

30 minutes later I decided to investigate.

A bird had flown--full force--into our dining room sliding glass window. The poor little fella was lying lifeless on the back porch. What on earth motivated it to fly in our direction? It was a pretty bird too: black with white "dots". Not something you see often. Turns out it was a woodpecker. Dang-it!

Several hours later we hear another *THWUMP*. Once again, I go out to investigate. (Ollie, seriously. Where's the "work" in your working dog genes??) Nothing on the back porch and I couldn't see any "mark" on our front window. Fingers crossed, the bird was momentarily blinded by the setting sun, making a full recovery.

Two hours ago, we watched yet another bird fly into our back sliding glass window. Again, no death resulted from its miscalculation, but it does make me wonder. Are they high? Possibly finding a stash of some fermented berries to shake things up a bit? It's not unheard of. Back in 2003 there were thousands of drunken flying birds in Sweden, a result of feasting on some of these delicious treats. Or maybe they're completely delirious with avian flu? After last years hype, I think the media is due for another round of public scare tactics. Bah. Media.

I'm betting on the berries. Birds need to let loose once in a while. If only they knew not to "drink" and fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home