Bambling On and On and On...

10 January, 2007

Single Salute

I'm driving on the beltway, left-hand lane, going a steady 70mph. Been driving in this lane since the 270/495 split. There's a car behind me, driving pretty close. Tailgater? Quite possible, but I couldn't get over because I was blocked on my right. I could have sped up, but wasn't in the mood. Besides, 70mph is a good clip for the beltway.

Within a minute or two, I see a car pull out to my right and then pull directly in front of me. Now I am not sure about this next part, since I was listening to a rousing discussion on NPR about HIV prevention in DC. Either the driver immediately adjusted his rear-view mirror to get a better view of my beauty, or flipped me his bird. Hmm. Curious. I tilt my head in confusion, the continue on my journey.

Huh. Odd. My odometer has moved to the left. I'm now driving at 60mph. I giggle as I think about what this particular driver's intentions are. If he was so keen on getting in front of me, why is he now insisting that all of us in the left-hand lane slow down to 60mph.

Ah-ha. I have an opportunity to get over to the right. Just as I do so, he puts on his blinker and cuts me off. WTF?? I smile even bigger. Immediately get back over to the left and drive.

As I pass this elderly individual, he holds up his middle finger against his window and refused to at in my direction. That to me means he was either PO'd at something prior to our meeting, or pulled a maneuver that was uncalled for, and rather than taking the blame, decided to use me as his scapegoat. Butt-muncher. Within seconds, he appeared to have slowed down even more and I lose him from my site as other cars drive furiously to pass him.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love driving? (feel the sarcasm.)

2 Comments:

  • I'm so glad I don't have to drive the Capital Beltway any longer. And for the record, driving 70 in ANY lane on 495 is almost a guarantee to piss someone off. Those people are fucking psychotic; that's why there was a beltway sniper. stupid fucking capital beltway.

    By Blogger Justin Codd, at 1/10/2007 1:38 PM  

  • I try to avoid driving on the beltway as much as possible. Yesterday, it was unavoidable.

    It's crazy about the driving speed because everyone appears to want to drive fast, but as soon as they hit a curve OH. MY. GOD. Suddenly traffic creeps at 5mph and I'm frustrated as all get-out because I was looking forward to taking the turns at 70mph.

    By Blogger Christine, at 1/11/2007 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home