Bambling On and On and On...

29 March, 2006

Radio, no more!

During my work commute I prefer to listen to my iPod. Recently, I've become bored with my music selection and have been too much of a procrastinator to add new tunes. In its place I've either been practicing my voice (yes, I still have a tape-deck in my car and could never go without one), or listening to NPR. This morning I have had enough of NPR and its news.

You're probably thinking: "But Chris, there are so many other good morning shows on the radio. Why NPR?". That's an easy one. I dispise morning talk shows. The constant talking over one another drives me insane. I chose NPR because it wasn't a talk show and I got my weather and traffic reports (i'm obssessed with these two reports). For a while I did switch over to a classical station, but the commercials were too numerous and detracted from the music itself.

As much as I love NPR, the news has become nothing short of an endless stream of dismal dialogue. My highlight was tuning into the "human interest" pieces that were--for the most part--uplifting. Until now. The "breath fresh air" I anxiously awaited for has turned just as bleak as the news. Oh I know that each piece usually ends with some sort of uplifting message, but it doesn't make up for the 15+ minutes of somber scripting I had to sit through to hear it.

I do know NPR is not all news, but my commute doesn't happen late enough, or long enough to include Diane Rehm or Kojo Nnamdi (I love his voice!). Which is sad because their programs are pretty good and some of the callers just crack me up.

Anyway, with the radio off, I drove 30 miles in silence. A majority of the commute was me trying to reconcile this new found silence while navigating through commuters and stop lights. The last bit of my commute is on 6 miles of road that happens to be aligned with woods on either side. Once turning onto this road, a strange sense of calm came over me. The sun had just risen, the sky was blue with a hint of pinkish-gray, and the air was crisp, smelling of dew -- having just rained a few hours earlier. I was just driving.. in the here and now. Taking notice of nature that is only visible when I run in the mornings. Everything around me was so peaceful; my mind had to stop worrying/thinking (a constant with me). Even my expression of "deep concern for fellow drivers" -- aka: road rage -- even ceased to exist. I didn't want to ruin this moment. It was a driving moment I haven't experienced in about 8 years.

Eight years is way too long. A decision was made-->No more radio. Life is too short. And commutes are too stinkin' long. 24/7 gloom and doom, I'll listen to you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home